[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Wayfarers of Veeshan • View topic - Blizzard

Wayfarers of Veeshan

An Everquest Guild on Luclin
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Blizzard
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:50 pm 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

Magelo: 0
I'm curious to see if any of y'all have ever been in to RTS games. I used to play Starcraft alot when it first came out In '98 and the years following when Starcraft broodwars came out. Was a pretty successful game.
Anyways, starcraft2 hit the shelves on the 27th of this month and was wonderin if anybody was gonna give it a shot.

I may not be tough, but damnit I can get good and mad!

Post subject: Re: Blizzard
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:31 pm 
Friend of WoV

While not normally a big RTS fan I will probably pick up SC2 when the price drops a little. Considering the last 3-4 games I bought didn't get played more than 5-10 hours due to my EQ addiction I can't really justify $60 for another game that may well suffer the same fate. I was, however, quite the starcraft fan back in the day.

Also, a great older RTS game that I liked even better than SC was Homeworld. It was the first truly 3D RTS game, and still the best of them to my knowledge (though I don't really follow RTS games closely). It was all in space, and you could move your little ships around in 3D, fly in 3D formations, and go blow up the other ships. If you're a fan of the book Ender's Game you should definitely check it out, since some of the things he talks about in that book apply directly to that game, such as the advantages of defending vs attacking in 3D. It would always be fun to scout an enemy, see his forces spread out along a plane, and then warp in below/above the plane and attack your target. Bah, now I have to go load it again. Talking about it has made me nostalgic.

Nemesis of Quillmane and self-proclaimed master of Kedge Keep
Lease holder for the rooftops of Gyrospires Beza and Zeka

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:50 pm 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

Never heard of homeworld. I'll have to google it, maybe give it a try.

I'll be playin sc2 when I get Internet again(again)... Gotta have a connection to even install the thing cause it's so battle.net oriented now. I think it looks real good.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:24 am 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

I LOVED Starcraft and Broodwars, played them constantly for at least a year. They were my introduction to multiplayer games. Of course, they weren't massively multiplayer, but you could play up to four opponents, which was a whole new thing for me. I interspersed SC/BW with Diablo for quite a while and then went for EQ as soon as it came out. I was lost in EQ after that but still did some SC when I was too tired to play EQ and just wanted to fool around. I would actually love to get SC2 and see what it's like.

Merlaina, I am a huge Ender's Game fan and have read all of Orson Scott Card's books in the series. He is one of my favorite authors. I particularly enjoyed Ender's Shadow. I'll have to look into Homeworld, although my playing time is so limited - gahhhh - so many good games and so little time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:47 am 
Friend of WoV

I really liked the Ender's Game series (read all of them except for the newest one), and I liked some of Card's short stories, but I've found some of his other works to be pretty terrible. I tried to read the homecoming series, finished the first two books, and then couldn't read them anymore. If you haven't hooked me after two books there's no reason for me to waste my time with the rest of the series. I also started Seventh Son but couldn't get into it either.

I got to see him at a book signing several years back (got my copy of Shadow Puppets signed) and I was even less impressed with him after that. He seems very opinionated about things he doesn't seem to know much about, such as programming. I've also read some of his editorials and have decided that he's pretty much a nut job. While I like the Ender's series, I think that's about all I can say I like about the man.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:00 am 

I played starcraft for a short time and the Doom series off and on for ages.

UT2k4 was a lot of fun for me, as FPS's go

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:17 am 
Friend of WoV

Ah, UT. I only played the original and 2003, but they were big fun. I <3 me some shock rifle.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:27 am 

I think 2k4 was the best balance of playability and graphics with moderate hardware specs.
It's still well supported by the community, too...tons of private servers available to play on.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:26 am 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

Played doom as well. Had forgotten bout UT... Good times runnin round blowin people up

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:05 pm 
Officer

*bump

I played Doom. The game was my first foray into "online" gaming. There was a service called DWANGO that allowed folks to dial into a chat room and meet people to play. It actually had several "servers" in different cities before the internet really took off and it faded away. In it's heyday you could play doom II, Heratic, Descent, and a Battletech Mech warrier game and maybe Duke Nukem too. I started the true MMORPG with Ultima Online (a game still going and quite popular with japanese). I playes awhile even though I was robbed by a player 5 minutes after logging in the first time and spending 2 weeks real time fishing to earn gold to rebuild. After getting PWND by PK's for the umpteenth time I started looking for something different. A friend of mine who some may know in game as Caldeen had a ranger named Celone in a game called Everquest. One evening he loads up this game and I spend hours wandering around Lesser Fay amazed by a first person fantasy roleplaying game and I spent the next nine years playing almost daily.

If nothing seems to be going your way, choose another direction.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:53 am 
Friend of WoV

I played UO for a while, maybe 6-8 months. It was good times, and I rather enjoyed the PKs. I could rarely go toe to toe with them, so it became a fun game of evasion. My favorite trick was I had a macro key set up that would say "Kal Ort Por" (which if memory serves was the port spell), would do the bow animation, and then activate my hide skill. I couldn't actually use magic to save my life (in this case literally) so I would just try to fake them out. They'd see me say the port spell words, do an animation that, if I was behind a tree, could easily be mistaken for the casting animation, and then I'd disappear. Saved me on quite a few occasions. I also kept a set of generic looking clothes on me, and I'd run away and hug the front door of a house, change clothes, and pretend to be a vendor.

That game was neat because you could do lots of neat stuff like that. I also built a house out of fish once (that took a while). Put some furniture in it and everything. Of course then some jerks came and started taking my fish, but what can you do? Some people just don't appreciate art.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:35 pm 
Officer

You built a house out of fish and they started stealing them? I bet that stunk.... I wonder what style that would be? Early Codlonial? Did it have a front perch? Maybe a CARPort? Those dirty Bass er well I'll skip that pun. Seriously though I found my fond memories of UO didn't translate into a love for the game when I tried it again. It's changed in some ways but in many it's the same as it was over a decade ago. I've become spoiled by the easy games where corpse runs and the threat of real loss of property in game is just not fun.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:03 pm 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

Hey Dorann how is the wife and family going?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:19 am 
Officer

So far so good. We had a bit of a scare this weekend but a trip to the hospital to check and they said everything seems to be going just fine. We are at 13 weeks now. One plus is I got to hear the baby heartbeat on a monitor and it really hit me then that there's a little life in there waiting to get out.