[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Wayfarers of Veeshan • View topic - Analogy

Wayfarers of Veeshan

An Everquest Guild on Luclin
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Analogy
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:12 am 
Officer

Magelo: 0
I've been trying to make an analogy to better help me understand the economy. I've come up with a train. The engine is the economy. The coal car is the money that powers it. The government fills one car, and debt another. There's more involved, but that's the basics. Obama is the coal tender. He's trying to throw more money in economy's firebox. The trouble is most of the money in the stimulus package is pork, which misses the firebox and bounces into the debt boxcar. A good portion of the rest are for pet projects that congressman have added to the bill, which goes back into governments load. The more he throws, the heavier the train gets and the more it slows down. I dont see how this can make things better. It' a work in progress. Any comments are welcome.

Post subject: Re: Analogy
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:20 am 
Friend of WoV

It's way to early in the morning to be trying to think that hard. Reading that made my head hurt. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:05 pm 

Very good, and of course there are other factors at play, but I think that takes the major components into consideration.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:12 am 
Friend of WoV

Coal powered engine? Yay for green technology! :lol:

Economic analogies are always a little bit painful. Economics have only a passing resembalance to the rest of reality, so any model created to describe them will always be a bit off. Haams' is better than most, so far. :)

One thing that I'd point out is that even the coal that gets into the firebox also adds to the debt car. Your train might work for describing the economy, but it can only do so if you start loosening the laws of physics, hehe.

Gealaen Gaiamancer (EQ2 Warden & Tailor)
Thaentos (EQ2 Shadowknight & Carpenter)
Acade Spiritscribe (EQ2 Mystic & Sage)
Aegad Bottlebreaker (EQ2 Conjuror & Alchemist)
Tyraen Thornheart (EQ2 Ranger & Woodworker)
Ardra (EQ2 Wizard & Jeweler)
Sanwych Shortorder (EQ2 Ranger & Provisioner)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:22 pm 
Officer

naw wouldnt have to change the laws of physics just say the soot from the burning coal ends up in the debt car and its really heavy soot LOL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:08 am 
Friend of WoV

Soot! Good call! And there is slag left over when coal burns, that would increase the mass of the train over time, too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:22 am 
Guild Leader

For some reason the ol phrase "Robbing Peter to pay Paul" comes to mind when I hear stimulus package...or let's get out the ol "Credit Card" and pay the bills :roll:
and last but not least "All soot rolls down hill" or in Haams case the wrong box car ....personly I think they are missing the "
Train" all together :P

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breaths away.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:21 am 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

try poeple are the coal that powers your train..the soot and slat are jobs they make..

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:55 am 
Officer

gotta say this coal isnt green power yes it better then gasoline but since most is mined from stripmines i cant call it green least in my opinion

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:05 am 

Chak, what does that have to do with the analogy? This isn't a "green" discussion, which is a falsity in it's own right. This is about the debt that we are going to end up dumping on our children's children when we simply need to let businesses fail and the economy correct itself.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:14 am 
Friend of WoV

When I think about the economy ... the first "train" that comes to mind is a big raid-wiper. TRAIN TO ZONE!

(Okay, maybe not the first train that came to mind, but it's at least a little EQ/EQ2 related. Although I've never actually seen a train in EQ2--the mobs seem to ignore people when they run back to their spawns.)

Windelyn, you're quite right: all this economic stimulus is basically using the National Credit Card, which will have to be paid off eventually... Although there is some basis for using credit when you're strapped--sometimes you just have to do what you have to do to get to the next day.