Wayfarers of Veeshan

An Everquest Guild on Luclin
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Routed in Runnyeye
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 1:10 pm 
Enforcer

Have you ever had one of those days… er nights where every thing you said or did turned out heinously? I believe last night was one of those nights. It started out well enough, with Vanalcar, Franklyn, Shilena and myself setting out to slap a few spores and wandering goblins into submission. Rogane was quickly added to our little party thanks to the kind transportation provided by Lilweyeni (a not so dippy druid incidentally). We headed down to apply some disinfectant to the lower realms of Runnyeye and seemed to be doing well. Then Drexxell and Talinoth appeared and things were looking even better. We cleaned house a few times and did some obligatory resting. We had divided into 2 groups to make sure no one was left alone as we now had seven Wayfarers there. Surliman was one his way as well, to round us out to eight.

Both Talinoth and I had just finished sending out a round of Spells of Warding when we heard Shilena ask if it was ok for Rogane to bring the Lord of the Citadel. She muttered something about taking him to task for all the past indiscretions that he and his kin have committed. Tali and I both said no, since we were unable to cast any healing spells, as we did not have mana available. Unfortunately Rogane seemed to be unable to shake the Head of the Goblin clan. He came running to us hoping that we would be up to the task of taking him on. So almost before the next breath had been drawn, the room was full of goblins. Lord Pickclaw included. The fight was spectacular. The war cries were loud and numerous. The gibbering and giggling of the goblins was hideous. The screams of the dead and dying were thunderous. Unfortunately, it wasn’t just the goblins and spores that were dying. We lost at least three of our number within the first few seconds. Drexxell was the first, followed almost immediately by Rogane and Vanalcar. The rest of us split up and ran as fast and far away as our collective feet could get us.

(In hindsight I am sure that Rogane had no intention of leading a whole pack of slobbering, foul creatures into our midst whose whole intention was our destruction. He also may not have gotten the message that it was a bad idea for him to return with those creatures in tow, as communication is very difficult over long distances. When you couple that knowledge with the fact that we had two independent parties down there and the message was relayed from Rogane, through his group to ours. Then the reply had to go from us to his group and back to him, there probably wasn’t enough time for him to avoid gaining the attention of Pickclaw and his entourage. He probably only did what he thought was best and no blame should be placed on any one persons shoulders. Communication was and always has been a problem. Anyway let me finish the story before it becomes too late. We can discuss communication problems later. )

Talinoth and Drexxell ran to the Misty Thicket entrance and met up with Thunderhart as he arrived, whereas I limped over to the Gorge of Xrobb entrance and snuck out into the night. I must confess that I was miserably unaware of the other group’s plight after I started to run. I believe the fight or flight urge got the best of me and I was only concerned about my own sorry hide at that point. It was only later that I discovered the loss of Vanalcar. That occurred when I went down to get Drexxell’s corpse and tripped over Vanalcar’s body along the way. Lord Pickclaw remained at the entrance to the Gorge for some time, just lurking and waiting for someone to smite. He was dubious about my presence as I re-entered his lair but he let me pass. It wasn’t until I returned with Drexxell’s corpse and a few spores for company that he decided that I was unfit to remain alive. He tried very, very hard to make sure that I no longer remained among the living. I knew that I could not get by him to the entrance so I headed back within the Citadel to the other exit. Lord Pickclaw dogged my steps the entire was. I barely made it to the Misty Thicket entrance with my life.

Thunderhart being the brash soul that he is assured me that we could take out Pickclaw. I was unsure but I let myself be convinced. I came back in with Talinoth, Thunderhart and Drexxell in an attempt to take down the Lord who was now lurking outside the Misty zone. He was still dubious about Talinoth and I but at least he didn’t attack us. When Thunderhart came through however, he went berserk and went for the barbarian’s throat. Apparently, Lord Pickclaw had Thunderhart confused with some other large barbarian bashing type. He didn’t even give Thunder a chance to get his bearings before assaulting him. Thunder made a remarkable recovery however and started to give back as good as he got. We had Pickclaw about half dead when he turned on the poor naked Drexxell, who hadn’t had time to loot his corpse yet. Within 2-3 hits Drexxell was nearly dead again. We all ran for our lives yet again. Thunder and I talked it over and we decided that we would try one more time, hopefully before he had time to heal. We went back in and discovered that not only was Pickclaw a fast healer but that he was ready for us. We ran out a third time and licked our wounds again. As much as I hate to admit it, we just couldn’t take the Lord of the Manor. Eventually Zbik came by for a visit and tried to help us out with the Lord, thankfully he had nothing to do as someone had already wiped him out as they were passing through. I don’t think Zbik would have been in any danger from Lord Pickclaw, but I certainly did not want another death on my conscience.

Minardil and then Surliman also came in about that time. Minardil resurrected Drexxell and I resurrected Vanalcar. We could not find Rogane’s incarnation anywhere. We had the corpse but no soul. This will take some investigation I am sure. I hope he has not come to any permanent harm. Tali, Thunder, Drexxell and I decided to stay and continue the hunt within Runnyeye. Surliman, Shilena, Franklyn and Vanalcar decided to hunt in other places. The rest of the evening ended uneventfully with the exception of an aborted attempt to squish the Slime Elemental for Drexxell. He would have really liked the necklace that the slimely creature is reputed to have. Alas, I think it is not meant to be. As we trekked over to the creature’s lair, a large portion of the goblin population ambushed us. I think they were laying in wait for us to return through there so they could exact revenge for the death of their Lord. We were all quick witted enough to make it out alive. Well if truth be told, Talinoth was quick-witted enough to evacuate us all before we died.

I would like to take this moment to formally thank all the Wayfarers who have turned out in the past to help us try to cleanse Runnyeye as well as on other projects I have undertaken. I personally have welcomed any and all of my friends that have showed up in support. I realize that these evenings have centered about the four-key Wayfarers that are typically featured in my stories. I would like to add however, that I am the person I am today largely through the support and guidance of my Mistress and the rest of the Wayfarer clan. I know things always get said in the heat of the moment that was never truly intended to point the blame at any one particular member. Hence something may and probably have been said after a particularly untimely death that may have caused undeserved hurt or anguish. I cannot apologize for those things that were said, as I did not say them, but I am sorry if anyone was offended or hurt all the same. If you catch my meaning. Thank you my friends.

Xandamir –Humble Servant of Tunare-