[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Wayfarers of Veeshan • View topic - the dreaded adware

Wayfarers of Veeshan

An Everquest Guild on Luclin
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: the dreaded adware
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:16 am 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

President of the Allegretta Fan Club

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:23 am 
Former Guild Leader / Elder

Magelo: 500172

and latest version of

and most people prefer over Norton, plus it's free!

Tan will no doubt have other suggestions to add.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:00 am 

Magelo: 0
One of the best tools that I use to prevent Adware/Spyware is:

It replaces the URLs for the ad servers with a blank page, so instead of coming up with the ads, it comes up with nothing.

Along with the other items that Alley mentioned, I also use , which is specifically targetted at ActiveX components that may have Malware/Spyware.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:38 am 
Friend of WoV

I personally don't use any active virus scanner - I'm just carefull with my surfing habits.

I use Ad-Aware to bust down most SpyWare/AdWare, plus I use the scanner at once a month or so to scan my system for virii and it catches a few other things that Ad-Aware doesn't.

<option>78 past 1750 :)
<option>272 from 2100
<option>Jewelry:300+Trophy
<option>Tailoring:259+Geerlok
<option>Pottery:256+Geerlok
<option>Smithing:256+15%
<option>Fletching:254+Geerlok
<option>Baking:252+Geerlok
<option>Brewing:251+Geerlok
<option>Research:202+Geerlok
<option>Alcohol Tolerance:200
<option>Fishing:182
</select>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:45 am 
Elder

Another way to greatly cut down on the stuff is use some other browser besides Internet Explorer.

I use Opera and have used Mozilla Firefox.

Both of these will reduce the amount of Adware and some Virus that are specifically written with Microsoft in mind.

Mal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:10 am 
Enforcer

Ditto Mal, I use Mozilla exclusively since most harmful code is written for holes in IE's armor

Nealyn Prae - 43rd level Druid (Ranger Wannabe)
Calithe - 47th level bardling (Never wanted to be a ranger)
Nessah - 37th Level Ranger Mezzer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:40 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:33 am 
Friend of WoV

I do keep Windows updated with the lastest security patches using Windows Updater, and have my router really tight with what ports will allow.

Those two things I would recommend that everyone do.

Anything after that is your own personal preferrences, and has it's tradeoffs (the more actively running stuff on your computer, slower it can be running, but more secure), but if you're carefull with what you do (don't click banner ads, don't open received attachments, etc.) you should be ok.

I've not had an active virus scanner running in over 3 years, and the only time I ever got something that needed removal was when my idiot ex-brother-in-law's ex-wife used my computer while I was at work.

<option>272 from 2100
<option>Baking:252+Geerlok
<option>Brewing:251+Geerlok
<option>Research:202+Geerlok
<option>Alcohol Tolerance:200
<option>Fishing:182
</select>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:05 pm 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

I agree Mozilla Firefox is good stuff for prevention, TrendMicro is a great place for repairs. As broad of variety as surfing habits could be, I can't imagine not using anything. Even with all the precautions out there it still makes sense to use good surfing habits. If you don't know what it is, don't open it. Just my :twocents:
What I thought was a recent virus attack on my system turned out to be bad drivers for my sound card. I've yet to come across anyone that could explain how/why that happened. Oops, ignore the bitter rambling...
/em stomps off shaking his fist.

"I may not know the way but if you follow me, together we will find it." ~me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:50 pm 
Friend of WoV

<option>272 from 2100