[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Wayfarers of Veeshan • View topic - Old password-protected Word file

Wayfarers of Veeshan

An Everquest Guild on Luclin
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:00 pm 
Former Guild Leader / Elder

Magelo: 500172
I found some old diskettes containing some password-protected Word documents from when I worked at another job about eight years ago. These are my files, personal documents passworded because I had them on my computer at work. When I left that job, I just moved them to a diskette and took them with me.

Now, however, since I've upgraded MSWord several times, I can't open these documents. The error message I get is "cannot convert password protected documents." I've tried a trial version of a password cracker (although I know the password), I've tried using Office 98, Office 97, and even using Microsoft Office (the date on this CD is 1994). The latter says it can't open the file because I've provided the wrong password - even though it never gave me an opportunity to enter a password.

Anybody have any ideas? These files don't contain anything earthshattering, but I want to read them again after all this time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:44 pm 

Magelo: 0
there might be a couple of utilities around that 'break' password protection on word files, and a few others...maybe on download.com?

i'll have a look through the LivoSoft collection...i might have somethin that'll help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:49 pm 

I don't really need to break it since I know the password; the hard part is finding the right "old" version to open it.

It's frustrating . . . but I feel sure LivoSoft will have the answer! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:53 am 

hmm...no luck in the LivoNet library, but i do have a version of word that predates word 97 on the old win 95 box...

i'll see if i can find the installer kickin around...i think its on the original DEC restore disk

<dons the miners hat and delves back into the cavern>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:00 am 

Thanks, Freezie. I am determined to figure this out, but I've hit a dead end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:50 am 

Sorry Alle, thought I had an Word pre 97 also, though I can find my copy of windows 95, can't find an old Word :(

70 Bard, at your service
Elder, Wayfarer of Veeshan

Also, , , Irodanise (52 Pal), Irodanes (31 Rog), Iroardanis (19 BL), Sinadori (25 SK), Dreminal (32 Dru)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:38 pm 

I'm sure I could 'find' a copy of some very old software ... if you look at the properties for the file, does it give you any indication of what version created it?

Check on the Summary tab, Advanced. Should have an origin area and Application Name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:05 pm 

Nada :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:24 pm 

Could always try : http://www.decryptum.com/

It should just remove the password. I doubt that they actually need to retain the password if they're that old... and it would let you look at 'em again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:53 pm 

ugh. $39 to do the whole file if it works. I'll do that as a last resort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:03 pm 

The demo'd at least let you see the first part of the file. And if that's all it takes, I think we'd be able to find something similar without the $39 price tag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:49 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:58 am 
Sky Captain / Officer

Dralia, 36th Erudite Enchantress

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:09 am