[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Wayfarers of Veeshan • View topic - NOO EVIL EVIL EVIL EVIL ARRGH *freezes in motio.......*

Wayfarers of Veeshan

An Everquest Guild on Luclin
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:51 am 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

Magelo: 0
ok thanks to tan an alley for the suggestions. and sadly as it may be, ive already tried those. ....plus some :(
my compter is running REALLY slow. i have 40 gigs and about 10 of that is free space. i have 512 ram, and a 1.9 ghz pentium 4. windows Xp Pro, with every update installed and Service pack 2.
the strange thing is. my computer will run at 30% cpu power and 100% when i try to open a file. this is NOT normal. also my freespace has been decreasing without me doing a thing besides scanning and removing files. some folders and files will not remove themselves saying they are in use.... which they are not. AOL will never uninstall so thats not new on this one, but maya 4.5 will not trash the docs folder and some of my music folders will not move though everything in them will.

ive tried in this order
running ad aware
running kasperky anti virus software (had a few trojan downloaders)
running ad aware
running kaspersky anti virus software
running spybot
updating spybot
running spybot
defragmenting
deleteing unknown folders. (such as anything inside my temp file)
changing internet security settings (to very high i get asked when i want to allow my PC to run EQ)
deleting excess files in my music. (music i dont like anymore.)

ok after all this i can get my PC to run at about 17-30% cpu power standing still by stopping some of the basic processes, itunes,aim,msnim, deamontools, winamp
but it still is much slower than maybe 4 days ago or so :(

one thing i should point out is that my system idle process is running at 100% cpu or so and i can feel it when i normally could not.

any ideas on what to do to get rid of this would be loved and adored and um, ill kill something for you or something....YEA!...something like that :\

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:52 am 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

I know that maya likes to lock files. You may wanna double check that they aren't read-only. That's not gonna solve your problem but it's something I've run into before and should allow you to delete any unwanted maya leftovers.

There's always the system restore option...just restore to when the computer was happy (5 days ago?). If your downloader trojans are reloading themselves (I recently had this problem as well) you need to remove the trojan, disable system restore, then reboot and scan/remove again. You lose your system restore points but I usually backup and format instead anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:04 pm 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

hmm only problem there is that sadly ive done alot of work in those 5 days :\ 2 of the paintings i put up are from a set of 50! :\ and i dont want to lose them, but restoring may be a good idea.... i dunno was hoping that there was a miracle cure around somewhere :(

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:25 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:34 pm 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:05 pm 

I recently had an encounter with a couple of applications that kept trying to change URLs in the registry, for search, home page, all that stuff. Tea Timer was popping up constantly as it kept trying and trying and trying ad nauseum.

Check those processes and you may see that there's something going on that isn't really being reported by Adaware or Spybot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:38 am 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

ok this is extremely odd. i should mention whats been going on and whats happend because of it :\ man whoever thought i could get this screwed with this junk.

my computers free space is dissapearing. it started at 10.gb free. ive been monitering the drives and has gone down to 9.86...er 9.85 its decreasing and its driving me insane and scaring me as well... um also in EQ or anything my mouse will randomly click on something making my typing all weird and there are lines phrases that i cannot type ex.
i would go to type something like "hey, whats up? how are you doing today?" and if i did it exactly like it was there as soon as i put in the y or the ? it would just dissapear.
anymore advice on this would be thanked. and thanks tan and Z for trying to help
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:58 am 
Elder

As far as the last letter / letters not showing up in the chat window when you hit return..... That is a known issue. It has happened ever since I started playing the game.

Mal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:58 pm 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

hmm this is getting worse. my freespace which was at 10 then 9.8 gigs is down to aroudn 7 now :( havent uploaded anything and have deleted things as well :\

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:48 pm 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

have you checked to see if system restore is being greedy? It tends to eat up a lot of space. Turn it off of tweak how much space it's being allowed to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:15 am 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

Sounds like u may have a worm, Nortons home page has a lot of free individual worms scans. Also may want to look into another Sypware program, spybot is good, but have seen better. I use Webroot and Spyguard as well as Spybot. I also heard Servicepack 2 comes w/a Built n firewall, did this problem occur after u installed SP 2?

And shepards we shall be, for thee my lord for thee. Power hath desended forth from thy hand so our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. And we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be...
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.
-Boondock Saints

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:03 am 
Friend of WoV

Mj had been having the same type of problem. I'll nuge him along to tell you what he did to correct it. Hope you get it fixed soon hon!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:19 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:40 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:41 pm 
Wayfarer of Veeshan