[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Wayfarers of Veeshan • View topic - Back soon...

Wayfarers of Veeshan

An Everquest Guild on Luclin
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Back soon...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:41 am 
Sky Captain / Officer

Magelo: 0
The geek squad paid me a visit last night to diagnose and replace my hard
drive. After they left, I re-loaded EQ from disk (yikes, still have the original
trilogy, luclin, PoP and LDoN disks) and then went for the patch...three hours
later the patch completed, but then I went to reboot and the computer
wouldn't shut down. Now, the geek squad guy said that the hard drive
was damaged for reasons unknown, but he did mention that powering
down the computer without going through the shutdown cycle could
be a culprit (something I very rarely do).

So, in my revitalized paranoia, I was afraid to power it down with the power button, but
a quick chat with my tech support guys here at work this morning was sorta like
this "bah, just power it down...Vista and XP always have issues with
shutdown and I have to power off all the time...that's not likely the
reason your hard drive died." So a quick call to the wife and
she powered the thing down and back up and it rebooted fine.

I'll check when I get home and see if the patch fully loaded...should
be back in game soon.

Drex

P.S. Anyone else feel that the only tech support guys they can trust are
the ones at work? I swear, I'd rather pay them freelance fees to come
to my house than deal with the geek squad again.

Dralia, 36th Erudite Enchantress

Post subject: Re: Back soon...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:54 am 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

ive never had to call the geek squad. but theres somethin bout a grown man drivin a vw bug that just gives me the heeby jeebies

I may not be tough, but damnit I can get good and mad!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:19 am 
Former Guild Leader / Elder

Magelo: 500172
I have my fingers crossed for you, Drex. Hope everything works as intended!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:28 am 

I'm my own tech support. if I can't get it fixed (or find the answer) then it's time for new hardware/software.

G'luck with getting it all done!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:22 pm 
Officer

Hope it works. I bought my last computer from Best Buy. I am pretty computer illiterate, but I knew more about them then their geek guys did. They do have good lines of BS and excuses for things.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:38 am 
Sky Captain / Officer

Hard drive replaced...new system built...EQ loaded....only two remainingn issues, which I'm open to advice on:

1) On my desktop is the old "blue shield icon" of EQ. That seems wrong. The icon I used to have was the more
modern icon (the one that looks like the "EQ button" on the bottom left of your screen when in game). On my
previous system, that icon could be double clicked and that was how I'd get into EQ. Now with the blue
shield icon, I have to right-click and "run as administrator", which I never had to do before. Same operating
system...I obviously (20 months ago), figured out how to fix this, but didn't write it down. Ideas?

2) The ONE thing I had on my old hard drive which I forgot to get off of it and back up was months and
months of work on my Shaman epic page (hundreds of screenshots, edited JPEGs, my whole EQ log file,
and my nearly done web page). I'm devastated! I'm told that the hard drive itself is "bad", but from
what I'm told at work here, they say that I can just plug the "bad" drive into a later SATA slot
(SATA 0 being the new hard drive, which is where I boot from...SATA 1 and 2 being my 2 DVD
drives...SATA 3 being empty). I'm told that this may allow me to explore the drive, and that only
the boot sectors might be damaged. This is what I'm hoping to try tonight. However, any other
tricks to accessing a slightly damaged drive would be welcomed.

Drex

Dralia, 36th Erudite Enchantress

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:00 pm 

1) Right-click the icon, Choose Properties. On the Compatibility tab, look near the bottom for "Run this program as an administrator" and check that box. Click OK.

1b) Icon is the one from X:\Program Files\EverQuest\EverQuest.exe should be able to select that one.
If it's all patched up and using the 'old' launcher instead of the new Launchpad that should work.

2) Yep, should be able to plug the drive in on another port and be able to browse it.

Lemme know if you need anything.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:06 am 
Elder

I use the regular launcher and the only icon available to me is the same one Drexx has. My stuff is up to date.