[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Wayfarers of Veeshan • View topic - The ominus flashing power light.

Wayfarers of Veeshan

An Everquest Guild on Luclin
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:25 am 
Officer

Magelo: 0
Lately when I turn on my computer the fans, drives, etc will come on, but the power light just flashes. The monitor does not light up, but stays in sleep mode. I'll have to manually shut it off and restart it till it starts working. The thing is only a bit over 5 years old and should be just broke in by now :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:36 am 
Former Guild Leader / Elder

Magelo: 500172
Folks who know more about this than I can answer definitively, but my first thought would be not to ever let it go into sleep mode. I used to have trouble waking mine up, and once I disabled that, it was fine.

On mine you right click on the desktop to get to display properties. Choose screensaver tab, and at the bottom there's a power selection. I chose never on all those, and chose the selection for "always on."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:23 am 
Officer

It's not really sleep mode, but the monitor light never turns green. It stays yellow when I turn it on, like if the computer is off and the monitor is on. I'll try that though.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:24 am 
Elder

I have both my tower and laptop power settings to always on. I have never used sleep mode.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:01 pm 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

I'm no guru but sounds like a power source issue. That kind of stuff is super frustrating. Good luck getting it worked out, I hope you get it running soon.

~Dure

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:09 am 
Officer

Hm if you hit the power switch and the fans and such are coming on but no video, it sounds like a hardware issue. Usually when the PS goes it just goes, sometimes with a bang and smoke, and nothing works, at least that's always been how mine die. Are you sure the flashing light is the power light and not the hard drive light? It can be a royal pain tracking down exactly what is causing this; it could be memory, video card or something in the motherboard. At five years of age I'd suggest a good cleaning if you never have done so. A can of air and full disassembly cleaning and reassembly can sometimes fix gremlins.

If nothing seems to be going your way, choose another direction.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:26 am 
Guild Leader

I am by no means one to give advice....but when I worked in an office we turned the computers off everyday...then my bosses daughter used some in the evening, again shutting it down...and then when the on and off button wouldn't work the tech said was from shutting it down so much....told us to make sure have surge protector and don't shut it down.....I rarely ever turn my computer off any more at home.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breaths away.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:48 am 

Last time i saw this was when the power setting on my computer got switched. (think my 7 year old did that). Anyway, i went into the power settings and made my system never hibernate or sleep. I made sure that the hard drives never went to sleep either. One thing i do know is that computers now a days don't have the same issue they did 10 years ago, where if you kept turning it on and off it wore down the hardware. so my advice is to powere off the computer when you are not using it.

The other thing i would check is to make sure that your hardware is not overheating.

check these out

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... fault.aspx

http://www.filemb.net/tutorials/computer-temperature/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:06 pm 
Officer

Correct me if I'm wrong but is this something that is happening when you first turn it on? It's not an issue where it stops working or goes into sleep mode after it has been on.

If nothing seems to be going your way, choose another direction.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:27 pm 
Officer

Yes, just when it's first turned on.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:23 am 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think Dorann is right. Its a hardware issue. Sounds similar to a hardware problem I had a few months back. Ye ole Graphics card. If the card doesnt initialize correctly then the monitor will stay in sleep mode since there is no video signal. Do you have another source to check out the monitor just to be sure it hasnt failed?

Windweyen - level 24 Ranger
Musickiller - level 20 Bard
Mordemonk - level 29 Monk
Mordewiz - level 18 Wizard