[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Wayfarers of Veeshan • View topic - Possible order -- Request for comments

Wayfarers of Veeshan

An Everquest Guild on Luclin
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:29 pm 
Friend of WoV

Thanks for all the input so far -- I'm not sure I have the patience
to wait for PCI Express or BTX.

So far my leanings are to build my own system, as follows (please make suggestions, comments):

Case: Lian Li PC-65b
http://store.yahoo.com/shentech/lianpcblacco.html

MB:ABIT K8T800 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 754 CPU, Model "KV8-MAX3" -RETAIL
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... =22&depa=0

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+, 1MB L2 Cache, The Only 64-bit Windows Compatible Processor - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 343&depa=0

Mem: Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, (Twin Pack) 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... WSE&depa=0

Vid:Asus GeForce FX 5700 Video Card, 256MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "V9570/TD" -RETAIL
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... WSE&depa=0

PSU:Thermaltake Silent Purepower 480W with Black housing - Purepower Butterfly ATX 2-Fan Power Supply, Model "W0021" -RETAIL
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... WSE&depa=1

HD:Maxtor 120GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, MODEL 6Y120M0, OEM Drive Only
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... WSE&depa=0§ion=4

CD-RW:Lite-On Black 52X32X52 CD-RW Drive, Model LTR-52327S, OEM

DVD:Plextor Black DVD+R/RW Drive, Model PX-504A-SW-BL, Retail

Sound: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS PCI Sound Card -RETAIL
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... WSE&depa=1§ion=2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:00 pm 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

Looks good but I'm not sure about the Lite-On burner. I'm a believer in "you get what you pay for" and seeing those at Best Buy for $20 when the nearest competition is around $100 makes me question the quality. I have no personal experience with them so can't say for sure, just my 2 cents :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:48 pm 

Magelo: 0
Looks pretty good to me, only a small suggestion that I would make:
It's not necessary to have a CDRW and a DVDRW in the same system.
I would go with a DVD +/- RW (Dual format burner) instead and a simple DVD or CD drive for the second, which might end up being a little less expensive. The DVD burner will also burn CDs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:52 pm 
Friend of WoV

My friend who builds about 2 PCs a year for himself and friends uses Lite-on CD ROMs and has never had a problem with them.

You can get DVD ROM drive now for about $30.

The DVD Burner I'm buying isn't much more than $100.

I agree - no need for 2 burners. Get a DVD Burner and a DVD ROM (or CD ROM if you don't think you'll need the DVD ROM) -- it's just better for the burner if you don't use it constantly for reading things.

<option>78 past 1750 :)
<option>272 from 2100
<option>Jewelry:300+Trophy
<option>Tailoring:259+Geerlok
<option>Pottery:256+Geerlok
<option>Smithing:256+15%
<option>Fletching:254+Geerlok
<option>Baking:252+Geerlok
<option>Brewing:251+Geerlok
<option>Research:202+Geerlok
<option>Alcohol Tolerance:200
<option>Fishing:182
</select>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:28 pm 
Banned

I personally use a Plexor PX-708A DVD+/-R/RW drive and it works really well. The software the comes with it is also pretty straightforward to use and the drive I have reads and write nearly every format out there, except for DVD+RAM. But that didn't seem very important to me. Overall it's an excellent brand to choose when considering a DVD/CD burning drive.

- Att

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:44 pm 
Friend of WoV

Looks like it will be a great system. The only preferences i would have if it was my own system would be that the MB use the NForce2 Ultra Chipset with a dual channel DDR setup and that the power supply be from either Antec or PC POwer & Cooling. Lite-ON is actually a Sony Co. in that its products are Sony products sold under an additional name. In fact Sony is getting out of the CD/DVD making part of it & will have Lite-On do it all for them under the Lite-On name.

Post subject: Thanks again
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:41 am 
Friend of WoV

Thanks for the input. The reason for the two burners is
that I want to burn both DVD and CDs. I would *guess*
that I would be burning more CDs then DVDs, so wanted
a faster CD burner (52X CDR 32X CDRW). For $39 bucks
how can I go wrong?

On a related note, anyone have experience with the AMD 64s?

Chanzia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:06 am 
Former Guild Leader / Elder

Not yet :)

70 Bard, at your service
Elder, Wayfarer of Veeshan

Also, , , Irodanise (52 Pal), Irodanes (31 Rog), Iroardanis (19 BL), Sinadori (25 SK), Dreminal (32 Dru)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:52 am 
Friend of WoV

I was told that they are going to be majorly changing soon, so not to invest in a mother board that you can't upgrade the chip to in a year's time.

Which is why in my system I'm sticking with a 32-bit chip. If they continue to put out faster 32-bit chips, all I have to do is switch out the CPU and I have an upgrade.

<option>78 past 1750 :)
<option>272 from 2100
<option>Jewelry:300+Trophy
<option>Tailoring:259+Geerlok
<option>Pottery:256+Geerlok
<option>Smithing:256+15%
<option>Fletching:254+Geerlok
<option>Baking:252+Geerlok
<option>Brewing:251+Geerlok
<option>Research:202+Geerlok
<option>Alcohol Tolerance:200
<option>Fishing:182
</select>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:53 am 
Sky Captain / Officer

Magelo: 0
I have a CD/DVD RW and a CD/DVD ROM and also like to burn both DVDs and CDs. Honestly, unless you're producing a LOT of CDs, the speed gain with a pure CD RW may not be that noticable, except maybe at first if you're just getting into burning your own audio CDs and are doing it every day.

My "I hate computers cuz they always break" philosophy tells me that having 2 separate burners doubles your chances of mechanical failure. :)

Drex

Dralia, 36th Erudite Enchantress

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:49 am 
Wayfarer of Veeshan