[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Wayfarers of Veeshan • View topic - How far do you go?

Wayfarers of Veeshan

An Everquest Guild on Luclin
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How far do you go?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:06 am 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

I have a question that requires some real thought before answering, so please only post if you have carefully considered your thoughts.

My question is this: What is your opinion to your right to criticize someone else's style of play?

We all have different levels of both interest and ability. At what point, in your opinion, is trying to help someone be a better player TOO much?

If this question interests you but you are not sure you understand what I am asking please feel free to say so, either here or pm/email.

Durezil Coppahtahp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:38 am 
Friend of WoV

Well the first thing , to me anyways, is not to critisize at all! I think that suggestions are helpful because maybe there is something that a person just simply doesnt know about pertaining to their character in certain situations like what spells to cast that are more effective or when its best to cast certain spells or which ones will get the job done and conserve mana more etc... etc. It needs to be done in a positive manner so as not to discourage someone, but make them have more confidence in the fact that they do know how to be more effective with thier character . Just my 2 cents worth.

Post subject: personally.....
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:52 am 
Wayfarer Emeritus

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about any class beyond ShadowKnights. Even playing a SK full time I still learn things all the time. To that end, I try to keep the only time I give playing advice to when people ask directly.

Vektor - 95 Ranger, Scout Extraordinaire
Kahzbot - 97 Enchanter, Master Spell Researcher & Tinkerer
Kroger - 98 Rogue, Poison Maker, Tome Researcher, and Illusion Collector
Shazbon - 96 Shaman, Master Alchemist
Vendding - 94 Magician

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:04 pm 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

The only time I will ever make a comment on someones playing style is only after the 5th time I've told them not to break a mezz and I'm waiting on a rezz. Other than that what can I say I'm a chanter that loves to tank.

Live Well, Die Spectacually!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:52 pm 
Friend of WoV

I've always hated other people telling me how to play my class (for the 5th time I AM playing manasong!!!) and so the only time I would ever offer advice is if the person is endangering those around him or her, ie not assisting, not taunting before breaking mez, sitting while Vindi gets pulled, etc etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:04 pm 
Friend of WoV

That would entirely depend for me. I like to be critized it made me a much better player. If someone is doing something that is causing my game play to be lessened through there actions, I might ask them to try something else, inform them how doing something differently would be more beneficial, or I will just log off and be done with it all together. I try not to critize or criteq(sp) anyone until they brooch the subject with me.

Xabthik 40 monk
Slayinsongs 22 bard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:16 pm 
Officer

Magelo: 0
I usually only offer advice on game play if asked and only if its a character class I'm familiar with. Most times if a person wants help they will ask for it.

If nothing seems to be going your way, choose another direction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:56 pm 
Former Guild Leader / Elder

70 Bard, at your service
Elder, Wayfarer of Veeshan

Also, , , Irodanise (52 Pal), Irodanes (31 Rog), Iroardanis (19 BL), Sinadori (25 SK), Dreminal (32 Dru)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 5:49 pm 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

Hope to see more posts on this thread, it's really nice to get other players perspective. But I'm also interested in hearing from those that have been criticized and under what conditions. So... here's my thoughts;

As an enchanter, I have had VERY little advice on how to play. And as per Salyen's point, I don't exactly take that as a compliment. My most recurring grief with other players usually refers to pulling. YO! chanter here! no need to fd that second mob away.

I also have considerable experience playing a cleric. This has got to be the most frustrating class I've ever played. It seems almost everyone know's how to play a better a cleric than the cleric themself. It is also, IMO, the cleric's responsibility to let the puller know what the group is capable of handling, ie, pull more, less, faster, etc.

It's great to see the cleric tell the puller to pull when current target is at 15% or <. These are real keepers. It's also great to see the whites of a Tanks eyes as he is looking over his shoulder to see if the cleric is afk or gonna get that heal off in time. Not only is this more efficient, but really holds peoples attention and keeps them from being bored.

My advice to all would be simply this. Cut the cleric some slack, let them do their job as THEY know best. And give your chanter a reason for being and bring on that second mob.

Keep posting tho, I really like reading this thread. Thanks to all that have contributed.

Durezil Coppahtahp <missing the KC days when I felt like a god>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:02 pm 
Wayfarer Emeritus

Vektor - 95 Ranger, Scout Extraordinaire
Kahzbot - 97 Enchanter, Master Spell Researcher & Tinkerer
Kroger - 98 Rogue, Poison Maker, Tome Researcher, and Illusion Collector
Shazbon - 96 Shaman, Master Alchemist
Vendding - 94 Magician

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:45 pm 
Friend of WoV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:20 pm 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:48 pm 
Elder

Magelo: 0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:01 am 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:09 am 
Enforcer

Nealyn Prae - 43rd level Druid (Ranger Wannabe)
Calithe - 47th level bardling (Never wanted to be a ranger)
Nessah - 37th Level Ranger Mezzer