[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Wayfarers of Veeshan • View topic - Story time

Wayfarers of Veeshan

An Everquest Guild on Luclin
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Story time
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:19 am 
Officer

Magelo: 0
I've enjoyed the just five words for a long time. I thought, what if we didn't just use 5 words but added our own part to an ongoing story of the past, present, and future in Everquest? Below I've started with a story I've wanted to write for awhile now. It's a start to the retelling of my time spent in Everquest and I hope to add more. This is my telling of many people I've met and adventures I've had over the 9 years I was in the game. Please forgive the poor punctuation and grammar and I hope my memory of events is accurate. The idea here is to just put the words down as best you can and add your own part to the larger story. I hope others add to this and it grows into a great tale.

To those who wish to know my name is Cliff. I am but a poor scribe and not truly worthy of telling a tale such as this but I will put my meager skills to task and attempt to tell just a small part of a great story. It is my sincere hope that other scribes with knowledge of these events will add their own words to mine and help to tell a truly great story of adventure and excitement spanning years and worlds. Fear not that your words may seem poor or your memories of events unclear. It is the idea and attempt that matter most to keep these stories alive for others to read. Let them judge not on the precision of prose, but instead see the story as a labor of love told by those who lived it.

Once, many years ago, there lived a young man in the city of Qeynos by the name Dorann. Growing up in the city Dorann, like many boys, dreamed of the day he would become a brave adventurer protecting the people of Norrath from evil. He trained hard as a youth, deciding to become a holy warrior of Rodcet Nife. He would trust in a balance of magic and swordsmanship to serve him in battle.
As soon as he was able, Dorann ventured forth into the fields surrounding the city to practice and gain skill in battle with the creatures outside the walls of his home. Countless rats, bats and other foul beasts met their demise at the end of Dorann’s old rusty sword, a hand me down from his father. As his skills grew, Dorann began to venture further from the city walls and soon found himself slaying gnolls outside their lair of Blackburrow. For a time Dorann spent his days slaying the almost endless hordes of dogmen but felt he was destined for more and missing something.
Finally after many days he asked a friend of his, a brave ranger named Celone, from the land of elves to assist him in traveling to the far away city of Freeport. With the help of magic, his friend’s skill as a woodsman, and a bit of luck, Dorann managed the long run from the only home he knew to the busy city of Freeport. Freeport was an amazing city with a large number of travelers. Ships sailed daily to the lands of elves from its busy ports, and the great desserts of Ro stood just outside the city gates. Inside was wealth, power and the corruption that both bring. Dorann quickly learned that not all people were as good or trusting as his folk from home and he set out to make a name for himself and earn their trust.
Dorann ventured to the edge of the great desert and spend many days there slaying beasts. As he grew stronger he gathered up his courage and went out into the endless sea of sand to seek out greater foes. Orcs and other creatures fell to his blade. Just as Dorann was feeling confident in his prowess he had is first encounter with dark elves and had to flee for his life from a particularly nasty individual named Dorn B Dynn. Sand giants and undead specters of the land also mocked him and countless times sent Dorann fleeing into the sea in shame. Dorann took the lessons to heart and promised never to become too confident and always respect the dangers of the world. Countless months were wandering the desert’s edges. He was mostly a solitary figure trusting in his skill and luck to be his only allies in battle. On occasion he would join other adventurers and delve deeper into the desert in search of bands of thieving dervish thugs and the elusive giant croc named Lockjaw.
Tiring of the dry desert wastes, Dorann turned his attention to the common lands that were also just outside Freeport’s gates. Slowly he worked his way across the eastern and western commonlands making a name for himself with the locals. He did this by working odd jobs at their request and thinning the numbers of beasts and creatures. Dorann quickly learned to avoid the dark catacombs of Befallen as well as the hill giants who rarely appeared to terrorize the people. Soon enough, he reached the edge of the great Kithcor forrest and decided to leave the relative safety of Freeport for good and journey to the orc infested confines of Highhold Pass. Dorann had eased away from his loner ways and joined a guild of adventurers named Dominus Sanctum. It was at this time Dorann reached the age of 20 and as a rite of passage took for himself a surname. Dorann thought long and hard and finally chose the name of Ingenuus. It was a name from an obscure long lost language meaning honorable or honorably born. Armed with his new name and friends he spent many days in Highpass and quickly earned a name for himself among it’s people. Disaster struck when many of his friends decided to journey far away to another world and left the guild a shadow of it’s former self. Dorann once again became a solitary figure in the wilds of Norrath and found ways to strike a blow against evil even though he was alone.
From time to time he would hear of his relative’s journeys. His cousin Zayphres Pilleurdetombe sent him word from time to time. Dorann worried about his cousin’s choice to follow the dark arts of necromancy but knew his heart was good. Zayphres indeed quickly put Dorann’s fears to rest as he chose the more difficult path of becoming a good necromancer. Zayphres worked hard to earn the trust of the good folks around Freeport. Zayph, as his friends came to call him, said that death was nothing to be feared and the power over it could be used for good. Dorann’s other cousin Felgarn was an older man of the north. Wild and barbaric, Felgarn studied the mystic arts of his tribe and journeyed the cold wastes. Just as Dorann was growing tired of his endless battles with orcs he received word that a new land had been discovered. It was a place of new adventures and peoples offering the opportunity for great rewards. Throwing caution to the wind Dorann decided to set out for Kunark and find his fortune while gaining favor with Nife. As a parting gift his good friend Celone and his companions bestowed several magic gifts to Dorann to aid him. An ebony bladed sword and black breastplate among other powerful items were given and Dorann vowed to put them to good use.
After countless days at sea Dorann arrived upon the shores of Kunark and the port city of Firiona Vie. Dorann was impressed with the city. An elven beacon of light against the darkness surrounding it, the port city sat close to the great Burning Woods, Emerald jungles, and the City of Cabilis, home of the Iksar. Sadly in later days the great city would eventually fall to darkness, but that is another great tale to be told.
Dorann quickly acquainted himself with the good folk of Vie and set out to do battle with whatever he may find outside the city gates. He quickly realized that he would have to rely on his new weapons, armor, magic and wits to survive the great dangers. Evil drachnid, half dark elf and half spider roamed the woods. Farther into the depths Drolvargs, larger cousins to the gnolls of Dorann’s home lands, lay in ambush of any unwary travelers. Foul Frogloks also sought to slay those foolhardy enough to venture from the safety of the city. For many days Dorann fought, often he would have to flee to the protection of the guards to avoid certain death. Slowly he managed to gain the skills needed and with the money he saved was able to purchase a mighty weapon, Wurmslayer. Even with his newfound strength there were setbacks. Once faced with certain death he ran to the edge of the cliffs around the city and threw himself off into the sea to escape. The gamble paid off, and he lived to fight another day. It was not long after his arrival that Dorann’s path crossed with some individuals who would soon become some of his best friends and comrades in the many years ahead. One day while resting and recovering in the city of Friona Vie Dorann encountered a group of adventurers from a guild named Wayfarers unlike any he’d met before. There was a graceful druid from the great woods of Faydwer, Allegretta. Allegretta or Alley to her friends was a quiet and capable adventurer, wielding great healing magic. There was Haams, a great warrior of partial elven decent who could turn a clever play on words while wielding a sword in one hand and holding a cold Ale in his other without spilling a drop. Minalcar also a druid from the great woods, quiet and reserved yet once his friendship was earned a comrade without equal. Lastly a fellow paladin named Deadlier. Deadlier was of partial elven decent who followed the teachings of Erollisi Marr. She was a rare individual with a sharp mind and unmatched wit. Although her speech was sometimes difficult to follow with a brogue accent, it was always a delight to experience. She was quick to speak her mind and held little use for those who spoke false or wasted precious time. Her sword and tongue were equally sharp and could cut even the most armored foe if need be and at the same time she was kind and caring for those in need. Dorann liked them all instantly and was pleased when they invited him to join them on their adventures.
Many days were spent in the Burning Woods with his new friends, and even his cousins joined them when Dorann could not. Some names changed and sadly some friends were lost but never forgotten. Soon even Dorann decided to take a break from his adventuring, but his good cousin Zayphres, who had made a name for himself as a necromancer with a good heart, joined the great adventurers. In time they became known far and wide simply as Alley and Co., and continued on to new lands and even greater adventures that hopefully will be told some day.

If nothing seems to be going your way, choose another direction.

Post subject: Re: Story time
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:27 pm 
Officer

You've got a good memory for mobs names from back then! I mostly remember the terrible boat ride getting from Freeport to Firiona Vie, then the run through the spiders trying to make it to LOIO.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:30 pm 
Officer

Funny how some names of mobs we fought way back when stuck with me. If I wasn't sure or needed help with spelling I hit Zam for zone info. Eq players and Magelo I used to check character info if I wasn't sure.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:06 am 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

good story but when is the next chapter...hope there are many more to come...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:23 am 
Officer

I hope to add more to the story for sure. I'm also hoping others will add their own stories short or long.