[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Wayfarers of Veeshan • View topic - Ever wondered?

Wayfarers of Veeshan

An Everquest Guild on Luclin
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ever wondered?
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:31 pm 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

Magelo: 0
Not sure if there has been a spot on these forums for this topic, so if there isn't..there is now.

Ever wondered how to pronounce someone's name? Sure, you think you got it in your noggin..but do you? I've had several people ask me about mine, and I know I've wondered about some I've seen.

I'll try to make this as easy to understand as possible. :lol:

Macabre = Muh-cobb

Anyone else think your name is being said wrong? Post and clarify. :grin:

Post subject: Re: Ever wondered?
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:21 am 
Former Guild Leader / Elder

Magelo: 500172
This is not exactly the same, but it boggles my mind when people change my nickname. All my EQ life I've been called Alley, or Alle, or Ally. All of a sudden a couple of Heroes are calling me "Gretta." Who IS that?

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:35 am 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

Magelo: 1288918
LOL! That is too funny, just because I would have NEVER thought to call you "Gretta." Thanks for putting a big smile on my face this afternoon. It is most appreciated.

"Here comes the BOOM!"

Reclusa Loxoceles
Rogue of the 52nd season

Negra Panthera
Beastlord of the 33rd season

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:38 pm 
Wayfarer Emeritus

At least nobody calls you

Kahmon was originally named out of my frustration from every name being rejected and I exclaimed "Come on!" then went with it. I now pronounce it "kuh-mon".

One way I have heard people think my name is pronounced was "K-mun" like the Caiman lizards or crocodiles, which I suppose makes sense as well.

However, I was once on a raid and turned on EQs voice chat and heard someone refer to me as "common", but there is nothing common about me!

Vektor - 95 Ranger, Scout Extraordinaire
Kahzbot - 97 Enchanter, Master Spell Researcher & Tinkerer
Kroger - 98 Rogue, Poison Maker, Tome Researcher, and Illusion Collector
Shazbon - 96 Shaman, Master Alchemist
Vendding - 94 Magician

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:59 pm 
Former Guild Leader / Elder

Magelo: 500172
I remember exactly when you told us about how your name was pronounced: we were sitting in Kith Forest, waiting for Zbik's 1.0 rogue epic mob to spawn. I think Katiasky and Salyen were there also. No idea why I remember that.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:29 pm 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

I think I might have told you this before Kahmon, but I played a different toon full time back then so its been awhile. I commented on your name because although spelled differently, I referenced it to a very powerful vampire in a few of Anne Rice's books. His name however was spelled Khayman.

(I once had a toon I made a trader. Took me forever to name it due to nothing being accepted. Finally, she was called Afemaledruid.)

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:15 pm 

\tan-'lēl\

So there. :grin:

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:17 pm 
Officer

well at least i was close on pronouncing your named i thought it was mah kobb rey and for kahmon i thou8ght it was pronounced cam(like a camshaft)mon as for me the way i pronounce my own name is chak she ox but im fine with everyone calling me chak

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:11 pm 
Officer

Okay Makabray

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:09 pm 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

Funny enough, I always had a very clear pronunciation in my head of my druid's name, Medaiin.
"Mee-day-in"
still not sure that expresses it correctly. The first part's sound is derived from Pink Floyd's album "Meddle", which funny enough I originally always mis-pronounced and grew to love the pronounciation once I learned it's proper form: mEdl (it's NOT "meh-dull"!)

I even tried to make his surname lead people to the proper pronounciation... "Meddlebraiin" :)
Of course, this was probably lost on everyone in the universe except me. haha

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:19 am 

Bten was named after the vitamin, cause I thought 'nomes were Norrath's little pills.. and Beex is a subtle reference to him. B ten = Bee X.. Get it?

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:33 am 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

Magelo: 1412672
Mine's easy.. "pie" or \ˈpī\

:banana:

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:35 pm 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

My name is just words I like to use.

Doldrum (dohl-druhm):
a state of inactivity or stagnation, as in business or art

Ennui (ahn-wee):
a feeling of utter weariness and discontent resulting from satiety or lack of interest; boredom

Put them together and it basically means that my name is bored with boredom :P (So I try to make things fun).

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:05 pm 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

alleGRETTA I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

A few minutes ago every tree was excited, bowing to the roaring storm,waving, swirling, tossing their branches in glorious enthusiasm likeworship. But though to the outer ear these trees are now silent, their songs never cease. -John Muir, naturalist, explorer, and writer (1838-1914)

E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.

¯\(º_o)/¯

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:17 am 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

Wreck-uh.
not ree-ka.
like, I wreck things.