[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Wayfarers of Veeshan • View topic - Unable to log on

Wayfarers of Veeshan

An Everquest Guild on Luclin
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Unable to log on
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:35 am 
Former Guild Leader / Elder

Magelo: 500172
/agree with Haams. Don't give up! We miss you.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:13 am 
Elder

Magelo: 0

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:24 pm 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

Mellatoth was able to fix my problem, this is how he did it:

Delete all the ui files except the one labeled default and default_old

That is all he did and it fixed my problem of logging in.

Brought to you by Kyleen, Home of the pink bunny.

(\_/)
(-_-)
(")(")*

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:17 am 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

Most the time it's the UI, but I have had to delete the character files (*.opt and *.ini) in the EQ folder a few times in the past in order to log into the game from the character screen...this dates back to Kunark unfortunately. Those darn lizards!! :?

-Poxx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:30 pm 
Guild Leader

EQ can give us a lot of enjoyment...until something (and no one knows what!!!) goes wrong....Sorry your unable to log on :( and missing u...Zat said to check the plug and asked if you had running water yet....PFFFFT lizards :P

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breaths away.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:45 am 
Friend of WoV

Most of the time when you are having log in issues, it's something gone wonky with the various INI files you have. Especially if you have an old copy of EQ that you've patched up through the years. Even when everything works fine, it often isn't a bad idea to go through and blow away the ini files, patch in new ones and then copy back the parts you really want to keep (hotkey settings, macros, etc...). (I did that recently with my own new computer, and it turned out some of the wierd crash issues I had were due to wonky display settings hidden in one of the files).

So what I'm getting at (and what you probably already have done) is back up your INI files and then remove ALL of them. eqclient.ini, anything with your character name, anything customized at all, and then give it a shot.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:10 pm 
Officer

At this point I'm sitting around twiddling my thumbs and waiting. I did everything that I knew to do, then contacted SOE tech support and have been in contact with them for the past couple of days. I've deleted, patched, deleted, repatched, etc...ad nauseum. Nothing I've done so far has made any difference.
I've sent copies of dxdiag, msinfo, eq.logfile, and the rest to tech support and since doing that they've made one suggestion which I tried. I've got a response in that it failed and am once again waiting on their reply.
Maybe I'll see you guys again soon. One can only hope.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:28 am 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

fen have you checked the modem? I was having a problem like that and changed internet service problem was gone and several dozen chickens and a goat to the modem person

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:08 am 
Friend of WoV

Just reread the thread, and it's beginning to sound like it may be an ISP issue of some sort, or a firewall/router issue, since you've tried it on two computers and done the clean installs.

If you haven't already:

* Try connecting direct to the internet, bypassing any router you have.
* If you still have access to a dialup modem, try to find a dialup ISP you could try to make sure it's not an ISP issue.
* When on the tech support, get the information you need to try and ping the Luclin servers (The login server is different from the actual game servers, so you may be able to login, but not able to connect to the game servers)
* Try to create a new character on your account, maybe on different servers (including Test and Antonyus Bayle since we know for certain those servers are not anywhere near the Luclin server)
* Create a new Station Access account and see if you can load into the Gloomingdeep Tutorial (it doesn't cost anything)
* If one of your machines is portable, take it somewhere where you can access a different ISP (eg some place with WiFi access or a net cafe of some sort that lets you plug in. You may need to go to a local hotel or airport to do so), and try connecting there.
* Try downloading the EQII or Vanguard trials and see if you can make a character in them and get it into the gametrials. (That would tell you if the issue is SOE related or just EQ Related at least)

Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:39 am 
Friend of WoV

Oh yeah, I had trouble with a router and connecting to EQ once upon a time. I had to change some settings on the router to allow connections on a certain range of ports, I think. I forget exactly what else I had to do, this was more than a year ago. Ultimately we ended up going with a new wireless router and didn't have the trouble at all anymore, lol!

Gealaen Gaiamancer (EQ2 Warden & Tailor)
Thaentos (EQ2 Shadowknight & Carpenter)
Acade Spiritscribe (EQ2 Mystic & Sage)
Aegad Bottlebreaker (EQ2 Conjuror & Alchemist)
Tyraen Thornheart (EQ2 Ranger & Woodworker)
Ardra (EQ2 Wizard & Jeweler)
Sanwych Shortorder (EQ2 Ranger & Provisioner)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:08 pm 
Officer

I don't think it's an isp issue or a dsl modem/router issue. I have an older computer that my kids play some educational games on and I ran EQ on it some time ago. It's running 98SE and is antiquated compared to my other two. It is, however connected to the internet through the same router using the same isp. I tried it for kicks and giggles, and after a download of the new patch for 98 to make it playable, I was able to login just fine. It's very slow and takes a long time to load and whatnot...but I was able to get into Norrath.

I do want to say "thank you all very much" for your time an input. I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:55 am 
Friend of WoV

Good to hear, at least you've isolated it down to the computer and eliminated router/ISP issues.

As I mentioned last night, some other things you can try:

* Take the directory you installed on that 98SE drive and copy it over to your non-working computer and see if it can connect. (You can do a straight copy, no need to reinstall or anything)
* Try doing a patch to TEst server and log onto there; it'll help isolate if it's a computer or EQ issue. Plus the Test server has some fixes in there now that may help.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:04 am 
Friend of WoV

Magelo: 1331167
Hope you get it figured out soon, Fen. Nothing more frustrating than a computer that won't do its job.

Don't just stand there and bleed! I forgot to mem succor... RUN!!
"It ain't easy having pals." Charley Bowdre, Young Guns

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:59 pm 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

One radical thing you can try...

There is a link in the EQ knowledgebase somewhere that will allow you to download a new updater. Wipe your harddrive (better yet, back it up onto something), then download this - when you run it, it will download the entire EQ and install it fresh.

Ahh here it is:
http://help.station.sony.com/cgi-bin/so ... _topview=1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:37 pm 
Officer

Tried copying the old Win98SE directory over to the new puter. That took a while. Didn't work. Same result.
Tried patching to test and created a new character. Crashed when I tried to enter the Mines of Gloomingdeep with the new character I created there.
Tech support finally responded to my ticket again tonight (been waiting since Tuesday night) and their great and wonderful suggestion was:
"One more thing I would like you to try is disabling all but one core on your CPU. I show you are running a quad core CPU which sometimes can cause issues in older games such as Everquest. They will not always sync properly causing random crashes etc."

Now we are talking about the same quad core computer I've been running EQ on seemlessly for the past several months. A computer which has not been messed with in any way except for updating AVG and Zonealarm. A computer which doesn't even have another game loaded on it. It's an EQ machine, that's it. Sounds kinda wonky to me.
/shrug